Monday, July 7, 2008

License Please...

Officer McGillacutty of Oregon State Police: 80 a little fast coming down that hill. Any reason you’re going that fast?

Chad: None at all.

OM looks at Chad with incredulous eyes.

OM: License please?

Chad gives license to OM.

OM: What year is this vehicle?

C: Uh…not sure…it’s a rental.

OM nods his head. A larger, older, more intimidating man than Officer Daniels is Officer McGillacutty. Chewing gum. Or cud perhaps…we could not be sure. OM inspects Chad’s license.

OM: You got a registration?

C: Yeah

Mike: Here it is.

OM: Open the door, I can get the year from the inside of the door.

OM inspects inside of door.

OM: 2008.

OM: (looking at license) Where’s Belmont?

C: Massachusetts.

OM: Where in Massachusetts?

C: Near Boston. I actually live in Watertown now. The sticker is on the back.

OM: (pausing…chewing…pausing with eye contact…chewing) I’m from Worcestor.

At this time there was a good 15 seconds of silence which in the presence of a state trooper is an eternity. I could tell from my vantage point Chad was trying to come up with just the right wording for a response, something with a delicate balance so as not to awake a sleeping rage-full giant within the big fella.

C: Uh…Okay.

OM: Sit tight. I’ll be back.

C: (waiting for OM) I was watching my speed the whole way. That was the fastest I went. It was just because of the hill. You saw it right? I didn’t think there would be a cop around here. Dam it. God dam it.

M: Yeah.

OM approaches vehicle.

OM: You on vacation?

C: Yeah. Doing some mountain biking. Coming from Washington and heading to Idaho.

OM: A $240 ticket would be a little expense for your vacation, right?

C: Yeah.

OM: No ticket. Watch your speed.

C: Okay. Thanks.

1 comment:

mom said...

Will you guys slow down!
Mom